Pediatric Cancer Care
Comprehensive Cancer Care in San Antonio
Compassion, expertise and experience are qualities to look for when choosing a care team for your child, adolescent or young adult with cancer. Trust us to provide comprehensive pediatric cancer care close to home in South Texas and offer innovative cancer treatments.
Why Choose Us for Care?
When you select University Health for cancer care, your child will get care at our Pediatric Blood & Cancer Center. The center focuses on treating children, teens and young adults.
Your child will receive care at the only academic medical center in San Antonio. Our doctors know the most advanced treatment options and can provide the best medical care possible.
Hospital at Home
Hospital at Home allows some of our pediatric oncology and hematology patients to receive hospital-level care in their homes. Your child will get in-person and virtual visits from University Health professionals you know and trust to support their care and recovery.
Focused on Childhood and AYA Cancers
Rely on our cancer specialists to know the difference between childhood and adult cancers. They understand which treatments are most successful for younger patients and will deliver follow-up care after treatment.
Feel confident that your child will get outstanding care that fits your needs. Look for:
- Many clinical trials and research options through University Health and prominent local and national research organizations, leading to better patient outcomes and survival rates
- Multiple specialists to provide cancer care for your child
- Fast access to oncology appointments so you do not have to wait for care
- Supportive services to take care of your child’s mind, body and spirit
- Survivorship program to manage risk and provide aftercare when cancer treatments are over
Superior, Multidisciplinary Cancer Care Team
Depend on a highly skilled cancer care team at University Health, in partnership with UT Health San Antonio, for the experience you want. Our multidisciplinary team works together to reach the best care and treatment plan for your child, teen or young adult.
Your Voice in Care
You and your child are an important part of your cancer care team. We listen to your care preferences and needs. We encourage communication and interaction with your child’s team for the best possible outcomes.
Cancers We Treat
Find diagnoses, care and treatment for common, complex and rare types of cancer that affect children, adolescents and young adults. A cancer diagnosis is scary for the whole family. We will help you cope with the diagnosis, understand cancer and make informed treatment decisions. We treat blood conditions like hemophilia and sickle cell disease, too.
Discover one-of-a-kind care and support for adolescent and young adult cancer. Get age-appropriate, individualized care from your cancer care team and a dedicated AYA nurse navigator.
At University Hospital, we have a dedicated inpatient AYA cancer unit with specific nursing expertise. You will experience care that meets your physical, social and emotional needs.
Cancer Screening and Genetic Testing
Identify genetic risks for cancer with our cancer screening and genetic testing services. After a cancer diagnosis, these services can help your child’s cancer care team provide targeted, more effective treatments.
Support for Kids During Treatment
Lean on your cancer care team to help navigate hospital care, manage treatments and ease side effects during cancer treatments. Our child life specialists help prepare your child for treatments. They explain what will happen and talk about medical equipment and procedures. This helps your child to feel more comfortable in the hospital.
Cancer Care Recognitions and Qualifications
When you need pediatric cancer care, look for a center with safe, high-quality care. Our recognitions, designations and partnerships include:
- Commission on Cancer-accredited academic comprehensive cancer program
- Cancer Center of Excellence (COE) designation by OptumHealth for our complete cancer care, treatment, support services and research
- Pediatric Oncology Experimental Therapeutics Investigators’ Consortium (POETIC) partner (one of only 11 nationwide) offering promising new cancer therapies for children and young adults.
- Collaborations with cancer research institutions for access to leading cancer research with better outcomes and survival rates, such as:
- Children’s Oncology Group
- National Cancer Institute
- Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute
- Mays Cancer Center, home to the UT Health MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas recognition for expertise in hepatoblastoma and other liver tumors in children, hereditary cancers and genetic risk assessments for cancer and counseling
- Teen Cancer America recognition and grant to provide an adolescent and young adult lounge and dedicated staff