Advantages of a Teaching Hospital
University Hospital, in partnership with UT Health San Antonio, is the premier teaching hospital for San Antonio and South Texas. We offer a higher level of coordinated care for routine medical care to the most complex diseases, disorders and injuries.
A teaching hospital, or academic medical center, is different from a community hospital. An academic medical center:
- Provides patients and the community with health care for everyday health needs, and the most specialized and advanced services for complex illnesses and injuries.
- Offers unique care not available anywhere else in the region.
- Teaches generations of healthcare professionals to assure your family’s health and well-being for years to come.
- Develops new and better ways to care for patients through outcomes-based research and the development of new technologies.
Why Choose University Health?
All of our knowledge and resources are here for you when you need it most.
University Health is a place where:
- New treatments are discovered.
- You can benefit from new treatments and technologies sooner.
- Board-certified doctors in all major specialties work side-by-side to provide coordinated care, 24/7.
- You can participate in clinical trials. The best and brightest in their fields are well-versed in the latest treatments and innovative techniques to care for patients and educate future doctors, nurses and other health professionals.
Why Choose a Teaching Hospital?
You want to be certain you and your family receive the best medical care from the most knowledgeable providers. That’s why you should choose a teaching hospital.
- Our medical staff shares their research results and expertise regionally, nationally and across the world.
- University Health believes in a patient and family-centered team approach. Here, teams of physicians, nurses, technologists and other professionals work with you and your family to develop an individualized plan of care.
- Here, patients can benefit from innovative diagnostic and treatment technologies.
- Teaching hospitals like University Hospital offer the widest breadth of specialty services and expertise. Because of our specialized capabilities, patients are referred and transferred to University Hospital every day by other physicians and hospitals.
What Can a Teaching Hospital Offer Me?
Teaching hospitals are best known for improving the health of their communities through a comprehensive team approach while offering:
- Board-certified doctors in most major specialists inside University Hospital 24/7 working together to diagnose and treat even the most complex conditions and injuries.
- A commitment to getting to the bottom of every patient condition, using the latest technology and research available in medicine.
- Clinical trials providing evidence-based treatment options before they are available anywhere else, along with the care and expertise of some of the best doctors in the country.
- A comprehensive approach to health care. In addition to emergency and hospital care, at University Health, we offer you and your family preventive health and primary care close to home, as well as conveniently located specialty care and same-day walk-in.