Financial Assistance and Health Coverage Options

Contact Us
For more information about coverage options, call 210-358-3350 or fill out the Contact Us form.

Financial Assistance and Health Coverage Options

Financial Assistance Policy

University Health cares for patients regardless of their ability to pay. You may qualify for University Health’s Financial Assistance Program if you:

  • Don’t have enough insurance to cover the services you received or have no health insurance
  • Your income is at or below 200% of the current Federal Poverty Guidelines
  • You are not eligible for any government or other programs

You may request a written copy of the University Health Financial Assistance Program. Please call 210-743-3064 for more information.

Financial Assistance and Discounts

We will work with you to establish a payment plan or to see if you qualify for:

  • Medicare, Medicaid or other public programs
  • Prompt pay discount
  • Specific charity programs

Charity Care and Financial Assistance Program

As part of its mission to improve the health of the community, University Health provides care to any person seeking treatment of an emergency condition, regardless of their ability to pay. Patients who are unable to pay for all or a portion of their inpatient hospital services can apply for financial assistance with their hospital charges, and eligibility will be determined in accordance with the University Health Charity Care and Financial Assistance Policy. 

Eligible patients are those who have received hospital services, are uninsured, underinsured, ineligible for any government or other programs, or are otherwise unable to pay for their health care due to their individual circumstances. Third party funding and all other possible payment sources such as auto insurance funds, must be exhausted before a patient can be considered for charity care and assistance. Patients with household income at or below 200% of current federal poverty guidelines are generally eligible for financial assistance. To determine eligibility, patients are required to complete a financial assistance application and provide supporting documentation to verify household income. Applications for assistance in English and Spanish are available on this website and at the Registration Desk in the University Hospital Emergency Department.

To verify income, applicants should provide the most current federal income tax return. Instead of a tax return, other supporting documentation includes at least three of the most recent paycheck stubs, or copies of the three most recent bank statements or written documentation from income sources. Proof of participation in government assistance programs such as Medicaid or TANF need to be submitted, if applicable. A copy of a government issued identification is required, as well as proof of address, such as a phone bill, water or electric bill.

Once eligibility is determined, applications and supporting documentation will be reviewed in a fair and objective manner to determine if all or a portion of the patient’s hospital bill will be forgiven. Assistance is based on a sliding scale that considers annual household income and family size. Patients will never be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than amounts generally billed to insured patients. Financial assistance is not applicable to the separate bills for physician services, pharmacy charges or outpatient clinic services.

Questions about financial assistance can be sent by email to or call 210-743-3064.

Completed financial assistance applications and supporting documentation can be sent via email to or by fax directed to 210-358-0523. Hand deliveries can be made to the Financial Assistance Office, 7th Floor, Rio Tower, University Hospital.

If sending via U.S. mail, the address is:

University Health Financial Assistance
University Health Mail Stop 53-1
4502 Medical Drive
San Antonio, Texas 78229

Learn more about our Charity and Financial Assistance Policy.

Find the Right Health Coverage

Your health is our priority. That's why we provide resources to help you find the right health coverage for you and your family.

CareLink offers community outreach benefits and services to its members throughout Bexar County. Our outreach specialists can help you find out if you qualify for CareLink, assist with the Medicaid and CHIP application process and connect you to the services you will need to help you and your family with health coverage.

You can enroll in Medicaid or CHIP any time of the year. Pick a plan that meets your needs and enroll online at


CareLink is a financial assistance program open to San Antonio or Bexar County residents who do not have private or public health insurance. CareLink is not an insurance plan. Based on several factors, like the number of people in your family and your total income, you may qualify to be a member of CareLink. You will be assigned your own primary care physician and have access to quality health care at University Health.


Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, certain younger people with disabilities or people with permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a transplant.

To help decide what coverage is right for you, choose how you get your medical coverage and see how you may be eligible to get help with your Medicare costs, visit


Health Insurance Marketplace is an online shopping site where individuals and small businesses can compare and buy health insurance.

Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide free or low-cost health coverage to millions of Americans, including some low-income families, pregnant women, the elderly and individuals with disabilities.

Compare Coverage Options

Marketplace Medicaid/ CHIP CareLink Medicare
In-Person Assistance Yes Yes Yes Yes
Age Requirement No Yes No Yes
Residency Eligibility No No Yes No
Disabilities Covered Yes Yes Yes Yes
Citizenship Required Yes Yes No Yes
Pregnancy Covered Yes Yes Yes Yes
Proof of Income Required Yes Yes Yes Yes