Women’s & Children’s Hospital
The Women’s & Children’s Hospital is the first hospital in South Texas dedicated to taking care of women, children and babies. You’ll benefit from compassionate care in a comfortable 14-story, 300-bed hospital with parking and space for future growth.
Find pregnancy and birth care from well-known, expert obstetricians and gynecologists at the Women's & Children's Hospital. Our nurses have Magnet recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. That means your care team has extra training and advanced capabilities to deliver high-quality patient care.
As the new home of our Level IV NICU and Level IV Maternal Center, this hospital features:
- Spacious labor and delivery suites
- Large postpartum rooms
- Customized nutrition for newborns
- Advanced maternal and neonatal care in warm and welcoming spaces
One of the Best Texas Hospitals for Moms and Babies
Depend on us for the highest-level pregnancy, childbirth and newborn care in San Antonio and South Texas. The Women's & Children's Hospital is a Level IV maternal care facility and has a Level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), the highest care designations available.
Feel confident that you and your little one are getting the best possible care because we are one of the few hospitals in the region — within 23 surrounding counties — to provide this superior level of care. Other health care facilities transfer their maternal and neonatal patients to us because we have the broad expertise and specialized services needed for high-risk pregnancies or premature babies.
A Mother's Place
The John L. Santikos Charitable Foundation Mother’s Place provides breastmilk storage, customized infant nutrition, lactation support and pumping stations for new moms. Here, certified neonatal nutritionists supplement mothers’ breast milk with the nutrients that infants in the NICU need to flourish.
U.S. News & World Report named us a 2024 High Performing Maternity Care Hospital. Newsweek included University Health on their list of Best Maternity Hospitals in 2022 and 2023. Leapfrog/Money named us one of the Best Hospitals for Maternity Care. These designations ensure that you and your baby will get some of the best maternity and prenatal care in the country.
University Health is recognized as a Baby-Friendly facility. The designation recognizes the hospital’s continued commitment to the babies, mothers and families of Bexar County.
University Health earned Baby-Friendly designation by meeting strict criteria that dictate best practices in caring for a newborn. This includes bonding and skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby.
Obstetrics and Gynecology in San Antonio
- Free pregnancy tests at all outpatient women’s health clinics
- Expert OB-GYN doctors, maternal-fetal medicine specialists and certified midwives for prenatal care, and patient navigators to assist you throughout your pregnancy
- Prenatal care offices in convenient locations around San Antonio
- CenteringPregnancy group prenatal care program
- High-risk pregnancy care from maternal-fetal medicine specialists and perinatal coordinators who watch over your pregnancy and delivery
- OB-GYN emergency center for medical complications during pregnancy
- Hospital at Home allows some of our Pregnancy & Childbirth patients to receive hospital-level care in their homes. You will get in-person and virtual visits from University Health professionals you know and trust to support your care and recovery.
- Childbirth, newborn care and breastfeeding classes
- Labor and delivery care providing you with a comfortable, peaceful birthing experience in a private room with dedicated pain management specialists
- Breastfeeding help from friendly, certified lactation consultants
- Level IV neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), specialized setting to care for the health needs of sick or premature infants
- NICU Angel Eye ® and Baby Chat video programs
- University Hospital recognized as a Cribs for Kids National Bronze Certified Safe Sleep Hospital. The Cribs for Kids® National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification program awards recognition to hospitals that demonstrate a commitment to reducing infant, sleep-related deaths by promoting and educating on best safe sleep practices.
- Support services such as interpreters, financial assistance and community resources for a smooth transition home with your infant
- Nurse-Family Partnership program to help you have a healthy pregnancy and gain parenting experience if you’re an eligible first-time mother
- Perinatal palliative care for seriously ill newborns
- Zika virus and pregnancy care program
- Mommies Program to support women with substance use disorder
Choose a Prenatal Care Provider
If your free pregnancy test is positive, choose a knowledgeable and friendly obstetrician who matches your preferences for prenatal care.
Complete High-Risk Specialty Care
Get comprehensive, specialized care if you or your developing baby have a medical complication during pregnancy. Our dedicated team of maternal-fetal medicine doctors, obstetricians and other trained support staff can provide high-risk pregnancy care for both of you. Get help managing chronic medical conditions or pregnancy-related illnesses like gestational diabetes or hypertension.
24/7 Center for OB-GYN Emergencies
Put your mind at ease knowing our OB-GYN team is available around the clock to provide superior care if you have a medical emergency during your pregnancy. A trained hospital transport team is also available if needed to bring you to the Women's & Children's Hospital quickly and safely.
Working for a Healthy Pregnancy and Delivery
Imagine a healthy pregnancy and birth experience for all women in San Antonio. It’s not just something we think about at the Women's & Children's Hospital — we make it a reality. Our community-minded doctors, nurses and staff teach and guide women, nurses and health care staff in the area, and our ongoing research makes pregnancy and newborn care better.
Your Pregnancy & Childbirth Care Team
Depending on your pregnancy needs, your Women's & Children's Hospital care team may include:
- Board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists (OB-GYNs)
- Board-certified maternal-fetal medicine specialists
- Board-certified neonatologists
- Certified midwives
- Registered nurses