Take part in various pregnancy and childbirth classes at University Health. Learn from our knowledgeable mother-baby care team in a supportive environment where you prepare for the arrival of your baby.
Prepare yourself for the big day by attending the two-day childbirth class. This is not a Lamaze class. The class covers:
- A tour of the women’s floor and birthing center at University Hospital
- Breathing exercises
- Relaxation methods
- Comfort measures
- What to expect during the third trimester of your pregnancy
- Labor and delivery education, including information on premature labor, stages and phases of labor, medical interventions, cesarean delivery and support person roles
- What to expect right after birth (postpartum)
- Have a University Medicine Associates or UT Health San Antonio obstetrician
- Plan to deliver at University Hospital
- Be at least 28 weeks pregnant when attending this class
- Ask your doctor if you should attend if you have a high-risk pregnancy
Attend a 90-minute breastfeeding class to learn basic breastfeeding information. Certified lactation consultants go over:
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Getting ready to breastfeed
- First feedings
- Breastfeeding the first week at home
Dress comfortably and bring a support person to the class. Your support person doesn’t need to register.
Car Seat Education and Installation
Be ready to take your newborn home by learning how to choose, install and use a car seat. Certified technicians will:
- Answer car seat questions
- Help install a car seat you have already purchased
- See if you qualify for our car seat distribution program
Call the Buckle Up! Team at 210-358-4295 to schedule an appointment Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Sign up for a class or tour in English or Spanish. If you have questions about the availability of other languages, please email us.