It’s important for every woman to feel she is in a nurturing, unbiased, safe environment during her pregnancy. We help pregnant women with substance use concerns get critical prenatal care and have the healthiest possible pregnancy and baby.
The Mommies Program at University Health helps mothers receiving methadone or buprenorphine for opiate use disorder as well as those with any substance use disorder. This includes methamphetamines, cocaine, benzodiazepines and other substances.
The Mommies Program team is dedicated to the care of mothers with substance use concerns and their new babies. Our team includes:
- Luke Newton, MD, Mommies Program medical director
- Caitlan Talamas, MS APRN – CNM
- Michelle Villasenor, dedicated RN coordinator
Mommies Program Highlights
- Methadone or buprenorphine treatment and recovery options
- Connection with a group of peer counselors, social workers, resource navigators and more for up to a year after your delivery
- Specialized OB/GYN doctors and certified nurse midwife for your prenatal care and delivery
- Free doula (birthing coach) services during pregnancy that will continue until your child reaches the age of 3
- Follow-up appointment for baby after hospital discharge with a physician with experience in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- OB/GYN experienced registered nurse to coordinate service and follow-through prenatal care, delivery and beyond
- Group prenatal care classes that provide education and group discussion
- 24-hour OB/GYN urgent care at University Hospital (Rio Tower, C Elevator, 4th Floor, 210-358-1471)
- Incentives such as car seats, pack n’ plays or baby strollers upon program completion
- Transportation assistance upon request for scheduled appointments only
- No-cost hepatitis C treatment postpartum, if needed
- Experienced and knowledgeable staff to care for you and your baby during your delivery stay
- The highest level of newborn care for your baby to manage Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome, if needed
- Breastfeeding support
- Free parking pass during your delivery stay
- Coordination of post-delivery care for you and your baby
Please call 210-863-6039 for more information.