Staying at the hospital can be uncomfortable and stressful for anyone, but especially for kids.
University Health offers Child Life support to hospitalized pediatric patients and their families to minimize the stress of surgeries or procedures.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), “Child Life services are associated with improved quality, outcomes, and patient and family experiences as well as decreased costs in pediatric care.”
Child Life Services
Child Life specialists help children and their families in a number of ways, from helping a child understand a procedure to helping a family cope with the grief of losing a child.
Child Life specialists can:
- Help kids understand a procedure, surgery or life-altering diagnosis in an age-appropriate way
- Provide end-of-life support
- Host special events like holiday parties and parades
- Advocate on behalf of kids to the rest of their care team
- Contribute to care plan and strategy
- Perform psychosocial assessments
- Engage patient’s family and promote family-centered care
Child Life Center at the Women’s & Children’s Hospital
The Hope Hits Harder Cancer Foundation Child Life Center at the Women’s & Children’s Hospital is a dedicated space designed with kids in mind in mind – to make their stay a little more fun.
This kid-friendly space offers young patients a chance to have fun and learn about their procedures, which in turn reduces fear and provides them with a sense of control. According to the AAP, there is a true “therapeutic value of play,” which our specialists provide at this center.
Child Life Center Features
At the Child Life Center, kids can:
- Play games
- Create arts and crafts
- Enjoy live theatrical performances
- Meet some new furry friends from our Pet Therapy team
- Learn about medical procedures in our medical-themed playroom