University Health offers Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) treatment to patients of all ages. BFR rehabilitation is the brief and intermittent occlusion of venous blood flow using a tourniquet while exercising.
This technique allows patients to exercise with significantly lighter weight while still increasing muscle mass and strength.
The rehabilitation team at University Health work with patients to ensure that:
- The patient is an excellent candidate for this type of treatment
- Exercises assigned are based on the patient’s rehabilitation plan
- The patient’s personalized pressure is accurate
- The patient isn’t experiencing any side effects
Benefits of this treatment
- Quicker recovery time
- Reduces strain on healing muscles, ligaments and tendons
- Increases strength
- Increases muscle mass
Blood Flow Restriction at University Health
Whether the goal is to return to sports or strengthen muscles for injury recovery, our therapists will provide expertise in BFR treatment for evidence-based recovery. This service is available at Medical Center Pavilion and Robert B. Green physical therapy clinics.