Pediatric Neurology Treatments
Get advanced treatment for common, complex and rare neurological conditions from pediatric neurologists and neurosurgeons at University Children’s Health in San Antonio.
Highly Qualified Neurologists
When you partner with our kid-friendly experts, your child will receive the best possible care and treatment for all neurological conditions. Our neurologists have years of training and experience treating children’s developing brains and nervous systems.
Depending on your child’s condition, the first type of treatment may be medications to improve or control symptoms.
When medications do not improve the condition, your doctor may recommend other treatments such as:
- Botulinum toxin (Botox®) injections – Relaxes muscles for spasticity, migraines, eye twitching and other neurological conditions
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy – Helps to control or stop tics and other neurological disorders
- Gene replacement therapy – Delivers a copy of a survival motor neuron (SMA) gene into the motor neuron cells to correct genetic diseases, such as spinal muscular atrophy and
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Intrathecal baclofen (ITB) pump – Delivers baclofen into the spinal cord through an implantable pump and catheter to manage spasticity
- Ketogenic diet – Helps control seizures for certain types of epilepsy
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling
- Occupational, physical and speech therapy – Helps your child learn new skills and ways to adapt to mobility, speech and everyday activity challenges
- Spinal taps (lumbar puncture) – Treats many different neurological conditions; sometimes by injecting anesthetic medications or other medications into the cerebrospinal fluid
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) – Uses electric pulses to the brain to stop a seizure
Treatment for Kids’ Complex & Rare Disorders
Discover the wide range of pediatric neurological treatments available, even for the most difficult to diagnose and treat conditions.
University Children’s Health is the referral center in the region for several rare neurological diseases. Your family will benefit from our superior experience, capabilities and sincere desire to find better treatments for children.
Tailored Treatments for Your Child’s Needs
Lean on us for specialized care of complex and rare brain and nerve conditions, neuromuscular diseases and genetic disorders, such as:
- Childhood cerebral adrenoleukodystrophy (ccADL)
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Neurofibromatosis and tuberous sclerosis complex
- Spinal muscular atrophy
Rely on our compassionate professionals to work with your family to develop a personalized care plan to help your child reach his or her highest potential.
Find the surgical treatments your doctor may recommend to treat neurological conditions.
Treatment Follow-Up Care
We will provide ongoing care for all the brain and nerve conditions we treat for your child from birth through age 18. We work with your child’s pediatric primary care provider to manage neurological conditions.
Online Support for Families
Learn more about conditions and treatments and gain support from other families living with neurological diseases.
- Angelman’s Syndrome Foundation, awareness and treatment, research and support for families and patients
- Chromosome 18, an advocacy group for parents and patients in San Antonio
- CureSMA, fund and direct research and support for spinal muscular atrophy patients and families
- Epilepsy Foundation, awareness, advocacy and research funding for people with epilepsy
- National Headache Foundation, awareness, advocacy, education and research support
- Muscular Dystrophy Association, research, care and advocacy for patients and families