Pediatric Kidney Care & Dialysis
Nephrology at Children’s Health Kidney Center
When your child has a kidney condition, you want the best care possible. Get compassionate, expert care from dedicated pediatric kidney doctors at University Children’s Health.
Nephrologists—Doctors Who Care for Kids’ Kidneys
Pediatric nephrologists specialize in diagnosing and treating conditions that affect children’s kidneys. Our children's kidney doctors treat newborns, young children and adolescents up to age 18.
Why Choose University Health?
Make sure your child receives the kidney care and treatment they need to stay as healthy as possible. Your child won’t have to go anywhere else for care when choosing University Health.
We are a designated Center of Excellence for pediatric kidney transplants. We provide the highest quality care for children who need kidney transplants and help them transition to adult care as they grow.
Our academic medical center:
- Provides the most up-to-date kidney services available
- Treats kids throughout South Texas
- Gets doctor referrals from all around the area
- Boasts doctors with years of experience treating kids with kidney conditions
- Gives you and your child access to other pediatric subspecialties for complex conditions needing multiple specialists' care
- Delivers top-quality pediatric kidney transplant care at the only pediatric kidney transplant center in San Antonio
- Gives family-centered care to look after your child’s health and assist with your family’s wishes and care choices
Kidney Conditions We Treat
Find care for a wide range of routine and complex children’s kidney diseases and conditions.
Children's Kidney Care & Treatment
Learn about the advanced care and complete treatments available for your child's kidney condition at University Children’s Health. Count on us for a personalized treatment plan that fits your child’s specific kidney condition and gives them the best result.
Your child will get medical care for kidney disease and associated complications, such as high blood pressure, anemia and bone disease (secondary hyperparathyroidism). We support your family when your child needs dialysis, continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) or a kidney transplant for a long-term kidney condition.
Your Kidney Care Team
Expect your child’s kidney care team to work hand-in-hand to provide your child with all the care he or she needs. You’ll work with:
- Board-certified nephrologists
- Pediatric nurse practitioner
- Clinic and dialysis registered nurses
- Clinical social worker
Your Child’s Multidisciplinary Care Team
Count on your kidney doctors and a full team of pediatric specialists to collaborate on your child’s care. Depending on your child’s condition, care may come from:
- Urologists – Diagnose and treat urinary and genital tracts problems
- General surgeons – Perform a wide range of surgical procedures to treat medical conditions
- Transplant surgeons – Perform organ transplants
- Interventional radiologists
- Other specialists (gastroenterologists, endocrinologists, cardiologists, psychologists, pulmonologists)