- Emergency Room
Children's Emergency Room
Best Medical Care Possible - Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
The Harvey E. Najim Children’s Emergency Department is a separate, dedicated emergency room open 24/7. When you need us, we’re here for you and your child. Whether you’re dealing with a middle-of-the-night fever, sudden injury or need treatment for a chronic medical condition, we provide expert medical attention.
Our space allows for quick patient drop-offs and convenient parking spaces for visitors and family members. In addition, the health care team has easy access to all our patients since the Children's ER is connected to our inpatient services and closer to the adult ER, increasing patients' access to fast care from our multidisciplinary team due to our new ER layout.
If your child needs trauma care, we can transfer you to our Level I pediatric trauma center.
Children's ER in San Antonio
We offer complete care to your child with access to certified emergency doctors and a wide range of pediatric specialists from UT Health San Antonio. Every infant, child and adolescent that comes through our door, they will receive individualized treatment plans in a welcoming and safe environment. Ensuring to provide the best evidence best practice to every patient with the main purpose to achieve the best outcome.
The children’s emergency room is located within the Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Where every aspect of your child’s care is a top priority, and our specialists work together toward one goal – your child’s recovery.
Pediatric Emergency Conditions We Treat
Our certified pediatric emergency physicians treat a wide range of minor to serious conditions in your child.
Child Life Specialists
In addition, our Child Life program is dedicated to helping our young patients and their family members cope with the stress of illness and injury. Pediatric nurses and specialists look out for your child’s psychological needs, using distraction and other techniques to help them cope with discomfort and pain.
What to Expect at our Children’s ER
- At intake, you will be asked to provide important information such as any medications your child is on and medical history
- If you have any insurance questions, we will connect you with a team member who will guide you through the process
- Board-certified specialists consult and communicate a medical plan of action
- Your child is treated in a private room
- Diagnostics such as lab work, X-ray results and other recommended options are discussed in a shared decision-making process
- When your child is discharged, it’s important to follow-up with your primary care physician as recommended by our emergency room staff
- If your child is asked to stay at the hospital, we will clearly communicate our plan for your child’s care
- If your child has a serious injury or burn, University Hospital operates the only Level I pediatric trauma center in South Texas
When to Go to the ER
We can help you decide if the Children’s Emergency Department is right for your needs. You are always welcome here, but if your situation doesn’t require the full services of the staff or equipment available at a pediatric emergency room, our PediExpress Walk-in Clinics are another choice.
You can download our guide as a reference to help you determine where to go for the right care. When in doubt, please come to the Children’s Emergency Room.