Children's Emergency Room
Best Medical Care Possible - Level I Pediatric Trauma Center
University Children’s Health Emergency Room at University Hospital is a separate, dedicated emergency room open 24/7 with minimal wait times. When you need us, we’re here for you and your child. Whether you’re dealing with a middle-of-the-night fever, sudden injury or need treatment for a chronic medical condition, we provide expert medical attention.
Children's ER in San Antonio
We offer complete care to your child with fast access to certified pediatric emergency doctors and a wide range of pediatric specialists from UT Health San Antonio. For every infant, child and adolescent that comes through our door, they will receive individualized treatment plans in a welcoming and safe environment.
Because University Children’s ER is within University Hospital, every aspect of your child’s care is a top priority, and our specialists work together toward one goal – your child’s recovery.
Child Life Specialists
In addition, our Child Life program is dedicated to helping our young patients and their family members cope with the stress of illness and injury. Pediatric nurses and specialists look out for your child’s psychological needs, using distraction and other techniques to help them cope with discomfort and pain.
What to Expect at our Children’s ER
- At intake, you will be asked to provide important information such as any medications your child is on and medical history
- If you have any insurance questions, we will connect you with a team member who will guide you through the process
- Board-certified specialists consult and communicate a medical plan of action
- Your child is treated in a private room
- Diagnostics such as lab work, X-ray results and other recommended options are discussed in a shared decision-making process
- When your child is discharged, it’s important to follow-up with your primary care physician as recommended by our emergency room staff
- If your child is asked to stay at the hospital, we will clearly communicate our plan for your child’s care
- If your child has a serious injury or burn, University Hospital operates the only
- Level I pediatric trauma center in South Texas
Fast Care for Very Important Kids
University Children’s Health has a Very Important Kids (VIK) program, in partnership with UT Health San Antonio, specifically designed for children who have chronic medical conditions such as cystic fibrosis or cancer. The program provides parents of these children a VIK identification card.
In the event they need to come to our emergency room, the doctors and nurses can contact the child’s specialists that regularly provide care for a review of their diagnosis and any recommendations about treatments.
When to Go to the ER
We can help you decide if the Children’s Emergency Department is right for your needs. You are always welcome here, but if your situation doesn’t require the full services of the staff or equipment available at a pediatric emergency room, our PediExpress Walk-in Clinics are another choice.
You can download our guide as a reference to help you determine where to go for the right care. When in doubt, please come to the Children’s Health Emergency Room.