When you cook at home, you know what ingredients are in your meals. You can easily make adjustments to suit your personal dietary needs.
Using no-salt-added tomatoes for this dish offsets some of the salt (sodium) in the cheese.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 28-ounce can crushed no-salt-added tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can diced low-salt tomatoes
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until transparent. Add garlic and stir. Add tomatoes and herbs. Bring sauce to bubbling and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to thicken, while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- If you’re making the sauce in advance, cook for about 45 minutes to an hour, then refrigerate. You’ll need 2 cups for your chicken; the rest can be frozen.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp water
- 3/4 cup panko (light Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb chicken breast cutlets—4 pieces*
*If you buy the chicken as 2 skinless breasts, cut each breast in half lengthwise. Put chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to make it evenly thick, about one-half to three-quarters of an inch.
- Put egg white and water in a shallow bowl. Beat lightly. Dip cutlets in egg wash.
- Spread some panko on wax paper. Cover the cutlets with panko, pressing the crumbs onto the chicken.
- Put 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large frying pan and heat to medium high. Add chicken and cook about 3 minutes, until golden. Add the second tablespoon of olive oil when turning the chicken. Cook 2 minutes more.
- 1 cup shredded low-moisture, skim-milk mozzarella
The Complete Dish
- To assemble the chicken Parmigiana, spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a shallow baking dish that will hold the chicken in 1 layer. Spread another cup of sauce over the chicken.
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove dish from oven and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella. Return dish to oven for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. The cheese doesn’t need to cook, just melt.
- Serve with cooked whole-wheat thin spaghetti and a salad.
Makes 4 servings
Each serving of chicken, cheese and sauce contains about 361 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat), 81 mg cholesterol, 485 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 8 g sugar and 32 g protein.