PediExpress Walk-In Care
When your child has a sudden illness or injury, take advantage of PediExpress, pediatric walk-in services at University Health. PediExpress is the only walk-in clinic in the San Antonio area with a board-certified pediatrician available all of the time.
Existing University Health patients with an activated University Health MyChart account can skip the line before arriving to the clinic by using the "Find Care Now" feature on MyChart.
Feel confident that your child, from infant to age 18, will get the best possible urgent care when they need it — daytime, evenings and on Saturdays.
When to Choose Walk-In Care
Choose the right place to get care for your child. Know the difference between walk-in care and emergency room (ER) conditions to protect their health and well-being.
Pediatric Walk-In Care Conditions
Walk-in care centers offer medical visits with a board-certified doctor or an advanced practice provider. Walk-in care is generally half the cost of an ER visit.
Select PediExpress walk-in care for conditions such as:
- Asthma and allergies
- Broken bones
- Cold and flu
- Coughs and sore throats
- Earaches and infections
- Fever and headaches
- Minor scrapes, cuts, and burns
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- Strep throat
- Urinary tract infections
Children’s Emergency Care Conditions
Emergency rooms provide immediate care for seriously ill kids around the clock in a kid-friendly environment. Get care from board-certified emergency medicine and pediatric specialists, and a team trained in children’s emergencies at University Health.
Call 911 or take your child to the emergency room for life-threatening injuries or conditions, including:
- Breathing difficulty
- Broken bones
- Coughing up blood
- Fever above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit in infants less than two months old
- Injuries or burns
- Major cuts, burns or wounds
- Poison ingestion
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe headache
- Sudden weakness or paralysis
Why Choose Us for Walk-In Care?
Count on us to deliver pediatric care and services unavailable at other walk-in or urgent care locations in San Antonio. You’ll appreciate:
- After-hours pediatric walk-in care when your regular pediatrician’s office is closed
- Walk-in care every weekday and on Saturdays until 8 p.m.
- Less time waiting for care by reserving a time in MyChart for existing patients
- Virtual visits/telemedicine appointments for existing patients through MyChart
- Quick, direct transfer to the University Health pediatric emergency room if your child needs a higher level of care, saving you time and money
- Real-time consults with other University Health specialists who can help with your child’s condition right away
- Seamless referrals to other University Health specialists if needed
- Direct admission to any type of care your child needs at University Hospital
Services and Treatments We Offer
Find urgent care services and treatments to help your child feel better, such as:
- Antibiotic injections
- Breathing treatment
- Broken bone care
- Drainage of abscesses
- Ear and nose foreign body removal
- Lab tests
- Medication prescriptions
- Minor cut bandaging, stitches and tissue adhesive using Derma Bond
- PCR COVID-19 tests
- Post-exposure tetanus and rabies vaccinations
- X-ray and ultrasound imaging
When you leave walk-in care, we want you to feel comfortable caring for your child at home. Your child’s walk-in care provider will explain the care and treatment needed, answer your questions, and provide written information to take home.
If your child is a University Health patient, your pediatrician will get a care notification through MyChart. You should see your pediatric primary care doctor for follow-up care in most cases.