Travis County family airlifted to University Health after carbon monoxide poisoning

A total of eleven patients from Travis County were brought to University Health for treatment, including a family that was airlifted after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. A generator is blamed for causing the family, including two children to become ill. The winter storm has left many Texans seeking alternatives to stay warm.

University Health is one of only two hospitals in the state that provide hyperbaric treatment for emergency care and children. The hospital has treated several Texas families for carbon monoxide poisoning at the Level I trauma center this season. Hyperbaric chambers use high levels of oxygen to treat carbon monoxide poisoning and other conditions, such as burns or wound care.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas that is produced by burning fuel. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when too much of the gas replaces oxygen in a person’s blood. This condition is a life-threatening emergency. The best way to detect unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide levels in the home is the use of a carbon monoxide detector. The injury prevention team at University Health urges all residents to use these devices to detect the invisible gas.

Raising awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide is especially important during cold weather. Dr. Brent Jones, a physician specializing in emergency and hyperbaric medicine and Jennifer Northway, director of injury prevention at University Health are available for interviews Friday, Feb. 3, 2023.

For more information about University Health, go to our website at

Contact media relations logo.
Contact Media Relations
Call 210-358-2335 or email us for more information about University Health news.
View other related news by: