University Health System President/CEO Among Modern Healthcare’s Top 25 Minority Executives in Healthcare
Contacts: Leni Kirkman, Julie Wiley 210-358-2335
George B. Hernández, Jr., President/CEO of University Health System, will be recognized by Modern Healthcare magazine at its Top 25 Minority Executives in Healthcare Gala in Chicago on June 29, 2010.
The publication’s 2010 list of its Top 25 Minority Executives in Healthcare was announced in its April 19, 2010 issue and the complete list of honorees is online at ModernHealthcare.com/topexecs2010.
Modern Healthcare considers the following to be minorities: African-American, Alaskan Native, American Indian, Asian, Hispanic, Native Hawaiian, other Pacific Islander, and multiracial. An editorial review board at Modern Healthcare reviewed the nominations and judged the candidates on the following criteria:
- Successfully served as a leader or managed an organization
- Showed the ability to effect change in the healthcare industry
- Demonstrated a willingness to share expertise with others in the field
- Served as a role model to other minority healthcare executives
- Assumed a leadership position in the industry outside the candidate’s own organization
Hernández joined University Health System in 1990. He assumed the role of President/CEO in January 2005 after serving as executive vice president/assistant administrator for five years and vice president for Legal Services for 10 years. Prior to joining the Health System, Hernández served as chief of the Civil Section in the Bexar County District Attorney’s Office and started his career as an assistant city attorney for the City of San Antonio.