Create a new family favorite with this colorful and healthy version of sweet potatoes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 sweet potato
- 4 small gold sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn, rinsed
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small jar of mild tomato salsa
- Cilantro leaves
- Avocado slices (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 390° F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking tray. Bake, turning occasionally, for 40 minutes or until tender.
2. Combine the black beans and salsa in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring for about 1 minute until warm.
3. In a separate saucepan, cook corn over medium heat for about 1 minute until warm (or if frozen, cook as instructed on the package).
4. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit lengthways on top of each sweet potato. Open the sweet potato and gently mash the inside with a fork.
5. Spoon the bean mixture over each sweet potato. Top with cabbage, cooked corn kernels and avocado slices. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves.
6. You can also use the beans and tomato salsa on top along with pico de gallo and cilantro, or use chile con carne and top with any vegetable.
Carbohydrate: 48 g
Fiber: 17 g
Protein: 13 g
Total fat: 2 g
Saturated fat: 0 g
Sodium: 400 mg
Health Tip: Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fiber containing minerals such as iron, calcium and selenium. Most importantly, they have a high concentration of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant which helps to maintain and improve your eyesight.