Fall is here! While you’re enjoying the changing leaves, pumpkin spice and apple cider, make sure you take advantage of the cooler weather and find ways to get your family outdoors and physically active.
The Benefits of Outdoor Exercise
There are many benefits to exercising outdoors including fresh air, the sunshine and an escape from the four walls of your house. But there are also some less obvious benefits.
Did you know that exercising outdoors benefits both your physical and mental health? It’s true! Exposure to nature can help improve your mood, reduce your risk of depression and enhance your self-esteem. Add exercise to the mix, and it’s a potent combination.
How to Exercise Outdoors Safely
Moving your workouts outside is beneficial for your mind and body, but it’s important to make sure your family is safe when exercising outdoors. Some things to consider include:
- Staying hydrated. Even in cold weather, it’s important to drink plenty of water when exercising.
- Don’t exercise outdoors if the temperature is above 90 degrees or below freezing.
- Always warm up before exercising and cool down when finished.
- Dress appropriately for the weather. Make sure your kids have the right hats, shoes and jacket so they don’t get too cold (or too hot) while outside.
- Watch for ice or slick spots on the road as the temperature drops.
Our most important tip for your outdoor workout? Have fun! Exercise offers so many benefits for our minds and bodies, and it’s well worth the time invested.